Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Blue Blue Blue Canary- Slava's Snow Show

I have something to admit- I am a terrible reviewer. But I have something amazing over here to review and since all of the good reviewers I know are on holidays, I do not have any other option like take over this role. I am not doing it for Slava Polunin (even his ethnic origin makes me squeeking with pride) neither for Southbank Centre who offered Londoners an opportunity to join this miracle on stage. I am doing it for everybody who would love to become a part of magic but doesn't have money for that. Exactly, as I said, I am a terrible reviewer. 
 In his Snow Show Slava Polunin takes us to the Winter Wonderland. The real one, not the one in Hyde Park.
 The whole idea bought me completely in the first minute: it started with 'La petite fille de la mere' of Vangelis- enough to amaze me. Because indeed, Slava's Snowshow is nothing like a feast of great music, picturesque sceneries and experience of a touchable magic. It moves all the senses delivering a sudden step to another side of the mirror. It is a show for everybody- but mostly for those who like to immerse, those who like to read a book feeling how does it sound and smell, for those who while being kids used to dream about entering into the earth. At once, it gives you all that.



 It is amazing how this show can be funny and sad at the same time. Just like circus, or at least that was the feeling I always had about it as a child. Unlikely lots of people think, Slava's Snowshow doesn't have much to do with circus- except sad clowns as characters, but even that seems to be more like an inspiration rather than a literal association. But even the circus theme is a masterpiece here- you might have seen in the past some shows or films trying to get an inspiration from a mystery of circus; watching it I always had an impression like the directors were walking around a park looking for a bench.
 What we really get is a pure physical theatre at its' best, telling a story with a vibrant music and a world which fully interacts with the audience. Whether it's through the snow, which embraces the experience of the whole show, large colourful balls or a giant spider's web, it offers you an immediate trampoline to the wonderland.

I have to also admit that this show is addictive. Since I first saw it, I cannot stop searching for related pieces around the Internet. I even found out that the featured song called 'Blue Canary' has not only it's own fanpage and Facebook group, but also a Twitter account!


MR FRANK

 Over these past weeks when I lived under the impression of Slava's Snowshow, Frank started to seriously worry. When I asked him why, he put his nailfile out on the table (which almost never happens), looked at me with a gaze only a counsellor can give you and all of a sudden just screamed:
-Why?! You're asking me why? For the past weeks you don't do anything else, but singing this song and repeating the clown's movements. I saw you some other day in a bathroom where you were trying out a clown's nose, I also heard you asked Pawi to sew a hat with long ears for you, and you're surprised I am worried?!

 As you can see, counsellors can be overreacting, especially when they are imaginary. But well, what can I do! Now please excuse me but my nose needs to be corrected and long ears bother me a bit while sitting in front of a computer. Also, it's Blue Canary time! 





If you would like to see the show or find out more, visit the website!

Also, the whole show can be seen on Youtube, so if you fancy some nice dreams tonight, put it on and enjoy. My whole family is already watching! 

No comments:

Post a Comment