Thursday, January 16, 2014

Confessions from Ines' hairdressing salon

 If you walk for around two minutes from the junction, you will see a printing shop. The next road turns down to a train station. Behind it, there is a park, and literally two turns after my cousin Ines runs her hairdressing salon. Everyone in the town knows this way, even though Ines' salon is not the best, nor the most expensive salon in the neighbourhood. 
 It was just a week ago, when I was passing the junction towards her shop as I used to do often just a couple of years ago. Now, I don't see Ines that often. Not even because I live in another country, but specifically because the reality had grown a wall between us, making our conversations just a shallow weather news exchange. Nevertheless, I was heading to her salon, hoping that Ines will understand how tired I am after a long journey back home and how I don't feel very talkative. Once I pushed the door, I got hit by a sweet smell of hair conditioners, bringing back a relaxing memory of my teenage times. The place was tiny and cozy, with yellow and green walls and posters presenting skinny models with modern and courageous hairstyles no one in the town would never dare to wear. Inside there were only two young students, both around fifteen years old, greeting me with a half respectful, half reserved gaze you can give only to somebody you see for the first time in your life. 
- Good morning- said both of them at the same time, concentrating both pair of eyes on my face. 
- Hey- Ines appeared all of a sudden in the doorway from a back room with a big, welcoming smile. This big smile as well as her plump shape, widening slightly at the level of her belly was a significant feauture of our whole family. -Welcome back home- said she with a tone like we'd just have met a day before. 
- You lost a lot of weight- I smiled back knowing well that this was exactly what she wanted to hear. 
- Oh no!- protested Ines the way she always did.- I am trying so much and nothing works! I joined a gym, tried every diet and still nothing. Well, probably because I don't cycle much these days. The weather is terrible and all paths are frozen, impossible to cycle to work, plus I have to watch over this place all the time! Not much time left for myself- she smiled but she couldn't hide a shadow of sadness in her eyes.- Look, these are only two of my students, I have three, but one of them just got pregnant. Believe me, it's a madness to look after all this!
There was no need for me to reply as after that Ines got straight to my hair.
- Hmm.. indeed you need a haircut- she admitted, grabbing parts of my hair to put her professional eye on it. -When it got just so thin?
 I felt she didn't really need my reply. She told me to sit down and in a blink of an eye the two students were rushing around my hair to wash them. Ines was watching their hands, instructing them from time to time. 'More over there, use this, put that one as well, don't spare it to my cousin!' I felt every movement of their young hands. The fruity smell of conditioner was flying around my head, making me hungry for sleep and sweet dreams. I looked at the window. The road outside was covered with snow, building a perfect scenario for Christmas decoration in the salon. Ines followed my gaze.
- Yes, the winter surprised us today. All this snow happened just over the night!
- Now you have a truly Christmas atmosphere- I smiled. In that country Christmas period is celebrated much longer than in the rest of the world. It's cherished. 
 She didn't ask me how did I spend Christmas but neither I asked her. I guess we both pretty much imagine our lives and we are both fine with these images, feeling no need for any details. 
- How is Froggie?- asked I more out of courtesy than an actual care. Froggie was Ines' life's partner but we never really cared about each other. 
- He's fine- she answered, too well aware of my attitude regarding her boyfriend.- Doing well at work. Just too long shifts, way too long.
 After they finished the washing they sat me down the hair sauna. I could feel a hot air dropping down my face. I loved it. 
- Would you like a tea?- politely asked one of the students.
- Yes please- I replied with appreciation.
- What kind of tea?- Ines screamed from the back room.- I have every kind you can imagine! All herbal ones, mint. Also instant coffee! What would you like? Oh, that one is my favourite, a cranberry one!
- Then that one, please- I didn't stop smiling. A hot air was creating a lovely spider's web of fumes all around my head. A soft smell of a water vapour made me feeling like a child. 
-Here is your tea- one of the students interrupted my private contemplation. I looked at her. She was without a doubt the less attractive one than the second. She had an old fashion fringe and a shining nose stud. Her voice was squeeking and loud and made me imagine her as a trader's daughter at a local marketplace. 
Ines had already gone in the back room, letting me know that she didn't really miss me that much. The students followed her one by one and soon I stayed alone, surrounded by fumes travelling on a yellow and green background. On my right hand side there was a table covered with magazines. Apart from that, only two hairdressing stations, and nothing else. 
 After fifteen minutes all three of them were back.
- Let's go- said Ines and I realized that for all this time no one else entered the salon. She washed the conditioner out of my hair by herself and sat me in front of a mirror, preparing to cut my hair.
- Shall we help you madam?- asked one of the students.
- No, I'll do this by myself- answered Ines and I thought when all that happened, when we stopped playing hide and seek in the garden and she became somebody's madam. She was cutting my hair quickly and with a precision she surely didn't perform ten years ago when she first did my haircut. The students were watching her every move. Then the second one, the prettier one, tall and slim with long, straight hair, took a hairdryer and started brushing my hair. Ines sat down next to me. 
- I cannot dry- she explained.- I take hormon pills. If I take too much activity my muscles will grow and I'll get even fatter! And you know, while drying my arms are up. Enough to grow the muscles!
- It's really nice in here- said I, trying to maintain a conversation.
- Oh no!- protested Ines the way she always did- I need to paint the walls. I alredy have a plan- it will all be lovely! I just changed these tables. They are small now though, but I just so hated the old ones, and all these things are just so expensive, I aksed myself, do I actually need any bigger ones? And here they are, and I'm glad I did it, cause it looks just so much better! Now I am preparing to the next investment- said Ines confidentially- I want to change the chairs but these are really expensive- she confessed, putting a pressure on the word 'really'- And when I think I could have a client like a had a week ago! Oh that was incredible!
Ines seeked her students' eyes and they both rolled their eyes the way she did. 
-That guy, I don't know, he had needles in his ass or whatever. After he sat on the chair all the cover was torn! If something like that happened to the new chairs, I swear, I don't know what I would do! Oh Gosh, looks, that's her! The one with a grandma!- Ines quickly changed a subject and pointed out of a window. In the mirror I could see a young girl passing through the snow. She was followed by an elderly lady helping herself out with a wooden stick. 
- Oh yes I've seen her at one of the festive parties- chimed the student with a fringe. -You should see her dress, so uncovering! I'm telling you every day, madam, all these girls so fat around, and you worry so much, madam! You're so much fitter than all them!  
- Look at her ass- Ines ignored her compliments.- It's impressing.
- Yes, surely is- accompanied her again the student. -some men would kill themselves for that. Like that Jennifer Lopez. That's a really great one! Like they say, big ass perfect to give birth to many kids!- she laughed at her own joke by herself, but a lack of a company obviously didn't bother her. By the time they finished my hair.
- Look, it's not that much shorter.
- That's a relief- I smiled. -I thought you would need to cut much more! You are a real master.
 She smiled back and took fifteen. I knew very well it was worth much more than fifteen, but she would never ever take more than fifteen from me. 
- I don't know if I can make it on Saturday- she switched to serious.- Froggie might be sleeping after a night shift. But surely I will come on Sunday. At least for a coffee. I'm alone and I'll love to get out of home.
At least for a coffee. I thanked and quickly left the salon, followed by two curious gazes of the students. The cold air outside flied onto my hair, playing with all fruity smells of conditioner. I was happy to see her. As I said, I don't see Ines often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment