Thursday, January 9, 2014

The World Famous Trash Collector

 I love having a day off. I wish I could have a day off everyday, of course with keeping the same tiredness of a busy schedule which makes it just so great. Nevertheless it is a shame that usually during these amazing days I don't really do much. Especially with the helpful voices of my creatures saying: 'Come on, you have such a lot of stress these days, relax, have a coffee, let your mind do a trip away!' So this is a statistical result of my days off: thousands of randomly watched bad movies, Spanish crime stories red one by one, stories written in my diary meant for no one but myself about how much I hate my neighbours and how little time I have to save the world. 
-Now, there was a fifteen minutes break for me to get a coffee. But you didn't notice that, you just continue reading. This is why I can also pretend that time has stopped for me in that moment and fold these fifteen minutes in between my daytime's pieces. I always knew that there is a possibility of getting more time out of a certain period, and this is how I manage to hang in my reality when it's needed. Just take a look:

 http://vimeo.com/81905498

 I would like to propose a simple idea how to use that knowledge in practice. Hold in to gravity. And you can guess that gravity means something certainly different for me. 
 Both my mother and The Guy I Lived With called me a World Famous Trash Collector. The idea indeed is to gather as many items as possible which can turn back some particular moment. While hanging, I am polishing my little precious treasures with care. These ca be any items which in a possible future might help you tripping: whether it's the past itself, some certain feeling or moment, you can recall it all. Usually for the people we live with, it's just a bunch of trash. Which is why I live alone. 


Sometimes they are just totally random things I find in my house, which are simply great. Old boxesjust like the one above, so ugly that even beautiful, or a Collins English dictionary which is actually a box itself (or rather a box looking just like a perfect book). In more extreme situations, well things which indeed can be trash for somebody. Let me name several examples.
 I always collect free magazines. Especially if they are wirtten in a different language. I can never resist a Russian free newspaper outisde of Bethnal Green station (associated with a memory so having for me a special personal meaning) or French cultural newsletter given away in Shoreditch. I always say I'd read hem later. Afterall, they are just too precious not to be honoured. I also have an edition of a German 'gala' and a British Vougue from 2006. They are a perfect company for my collection of books, picked up for roughly one pound only from clearance sale in Stratford or second hand bookshops in Soho.


 But there all also smaller pieces, the ones which just cannot have any other value but a sentimental one. One of my favourite bachelor's habits (just after walking around my house wearing my coat and scarf all together with pyjama and slippers) is locking myself up inside my little museum, surrounded by my time stopping treasures. Here is what I've found so far, giving examples of only recent trophees or the most interesting ones:

-A receipt for the purchase of a tortoise bracelet; I also kept a small plastic bag they gave me upon this occasion;
- A blank tax refund form found on the train to Liverpool Street; okay, that one maybe doesn't have any sentimental value, but I couldn't just leave it there, it's a document!
- Plenty of torn pages of a Nemi story from Metro; I have been collecting for ages;
- A pair of used fake eye lashes I wore at my 25th Birthday party;
- An empty bottle from perfume my former roomate was allergic to;
- An old cleaning rota schedule which used to hang in our kitchen;
- A piece of paper with written on it 'Jump on me' found in my old flatmate's room;
- An old ticket to Birmingham from 2011 which The Guy I Lived With never used;
- A box of cheesy Christmas decoration I got from Thinkersoup two years ago. They are paired with party poppers I got as a freebie during a Christmas party at Indian restaurant in Camden;
- An old Nokia 3310 my sister used to use while living in Bristol ten years ago;
And many many more, mostly old flyers advertising exhibitions I never went to and shows I never saw after all, or shops and restaurants which are already closed. Bills from restaurants I will never go to anymore, and photos cut out from magazines while positive thinking exercise.

 My mom always tells me: 'Why don't you get rid of it?' But the truth is, it all reminds me of something only I know about. Only I know this feeling which comes back when I look at it, only I know the smell of a time it records. That is why, it's a treasure only for me. And every trash collector will smile while reading it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment