Saturday, October 13, 2012

Wear a Hat!- or A Flash Memory About My Mother

 I remember from some children's story a scene, when the girl went to buy a hat. This hat meant a lot for her- meant that she was a lady.
 No matter how fashion is changing, what we wear on our heads still has a deeper meaning for us. I always loved hats amongst three things I cannot resist in my life: big hats, long boots and strong cigarettes. They are not only the essence of style for me: they also remind me about my mom. 
 One of my first memories from childhood is my mom sitting on the chair in her office she used to work, with her long leather boots on (she still has them), dark-brown sunglasses (as she always prefered them over classical black ones) and slowly smoking a cigarette. And she is wearing a wide black hat.The only problem is that my mom never wore this hat for real. I found it on top of our wardrobe, the old thing being just a souvenir from my mother's youth. But despite that, everytime I think about her I see her like this. Even now, speaking with her on phone, with my mom who is over fifty and the last thing she wants in her life is being a style icon, in my mind she is thirty years old, her hair is cut up till the geometric shape just above her shoulders, and her sunglasses and boots look just the same, perfectly balancing with purposely too lose jacket and knee-lenght skirt. And I can see this hat clearly. 
 So being less sarcastic as some of my friends recently requested I would like to dedicate my blog's space to  hat my mom found for me in a vintage shop. Voila! 
























 My mom didn't especially liked this picture. 'It shows the hat, not my daughter.' But this is the hat what I actually like here the most. And feeling obligated to mention: she also found this jacket.

1 comment:

  1. Live your life, do your work, then take your hat.
    Henry David Thoreau

    ReplyDelete