Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Plus Size Girl, Interrupted

 When there will be the post 'Plus Size Girl, Interrupted'?- asked one of my friend during the past weekend. 
 Well, it took me quite a long time to publish it indeed. I had to check before if I still have any really good lawyer on my contact list.


 After my honest confession about my weight problems I got accidently surrounded by a fever which almost made me leaving the beautiful country I spent holiday at. Well, O.B.B.s always attack unexpected.
 But marketing campains against obesity just ensure me that I was more than right. I was Monkey Seduction right. 
 The world has been attacked by news fighting with an extremely bad disease obesity obviously is. Obviously, nobody has doubts that the main danger moves on esthetic field. We do not like watching fat people. Women bigger then size 10 are never main characters of soap operas neither Hollywood movies, and even if we can see them they are always depressed poor girls who are clearly (as the message says) 'too fat to be loved and happy'. Following that pattern we can enjoy adventures of Ugly Betty, but with a concrete conclusion: Betty's ugly. I remember several years back when I was watching one of the episodes (I am a huge fan actually) with one of my male friend and he suddenly said that he can't really understand what it's all about. For him actually she was pretty hot... 
 How many clear messages like that do you get per day? Messages that skinny means beautiful, loveable and successful. What wants you to be like this?
 And finally:

 Is it you, or is it your TV?

CLEAR MESSAGES

 Recently some well known and respected newspaper examined conditions of salary variety in Wester Europe and United States. The result was striking: women who was underweight not only earned more, but also more likely became team leaders. A manipulation? Too far suggestions. Employers too much influented by media? Possible.

 No matter what source you open there is a clear message: being overweight is the worst disease in the world, leading to all of the other illnesses in the world including border line and people with such problem stay on a margin of the society forever, unhappy and rejected by 'better', 'skinnier' individuals. Sounds scary?  Read a magazine! 
 And here we are getting to the worst side of this: 'obesity' or 'being overweight' very often means simply 'not being underweight'. 

MR FRANK

- Tell me, why do you hate skinny girls so much?
- Ohh Frank, it's not that! -when I protested Mr Frank corrected his glasses with a top of his nailfile.- This is just completely disgusting that mass societies' authorities follow one pattern of 'perfection' glorifying some of beings against the other. Holocaust started this way!
- Isn't your irritation caused by years while you've been trying to chase this pattern and failed?
- Oh Mr Frank.You know me like nobody else. 

 But this time I won. Because despite the smile of satisfaction on Mr Frank's sleeky face I new why I failed. Because I understood that the pattern is not right.
 Today I understand how close I was to the eternal depression and at least bulimia. But before I reached my dreamy size 6. And guess what? It didn't make me happier at all.

THE GUY I LIVED WITH

- Look, look, I weight only 50 kilos! Isn't it amazing?!
- Oh, that's a great news. That means that you have to gain only 2,5 kilos and your BMI will be almost healthy.

MEDIA

 There used to be some campains about danger coming with law body mass. But apparently they stopped being trendy, because it the past five years everybody seemed to forget about anorexia, bulimia, schizofrenia, poor health condition and weakness of the body able to cause a death. Now let't talk about your not-too-flat belly, which can cause you shame on the beach and making your man hanging out with hookers. 

Photo by Tomasz Jozefovsky

1 comment:

  1. Just the idea that the mass that your body has is somehow tied in the formula of self belief and outward charisma is ridiculous.

    But humans are sooo silly.. :)

    ReplyDelete