Monday, September 1, 2014

The world inside my iPad- what's in your technology brain.

 I never thought it could have happened. I need to admit that for most of the time of my life I was a total ignorant to modernisation of devices and rather reluctant to technology in general. I cherished my old Nokia with a sentiment you can offer only to a long time friend and felt a bit of sadness when I had to swap it for a Blackberry. I never understood how people can spend thousands of pounds on phones and tablets and more fancy, completely useless electronics. 
 And then one day it happened: I got an iPad. At the very beginning, I doubted if it could be useful. A portable browser, what else can people invent. But then I charged it and it said hello, offering to be a pocket edition of my brain, to tidy up my head and clear away the cobwebs of overwhelming day-to-day reality. With smile, I could not refuse and I welcomed the iPad on board of my busy life. Then it asked me to feed it. With all the cool things I would like to have in my head. Now it's a time to talk about it a bit, what's in my head, what's in my iPad.  

 First of all I had to decide in what situation can it be of use. I always considered portable devices practical so I got a... netbook. Now I had more activities within reach with no need to come back home. It was a good idea as home can be overwhelming. To be sure my iPad is well prepared to go out, I got it a fuchsia case. I search for a matching cover.


INSIDE
 So I have to admit that alongside with technology itself I got also fascinated by social media. Quite bizarre as I used to say I would never, never (and never, never, ever!) become one of these geeky modern trendy creatures bouncing around with iPhones and letting Instagram be the portfolios of their lives. Today, oh well, Twitter, Facebook and Padgram (an iPad version for Instagram) were the first apps I fed my precious with. It's not like I know perfectly how to use them- don't get misled.
 With the second group of my favourite digital creatures most of my friends will be very pleased. Oh, I can see all of you clapping your hands. I have a navigation! I have maps, bus connections and tube updates and it would be a great idea if I actually ever took my lovely out of home... But, you see, just like getting lost in my own pocket, I also tend to lose everything I have with me.. and I mean everything.
 Then my iPad offered me a newsstand. It seemed quite bizarre for me, but soon I liked the idea of staying connected with news. As I normally don't read random news, the only item I used as far is a digital issue of 'Stylist'.. I just can't get over of the guilty pleasure of reading the great Lucy Mangan in my bed early morning.
 After appreciating the role of media I also downloaded Panamanian news app 'Estrella'. It's not like I claim it's entertaining.
 On the wave of creating my digital brain I also got Spotify (still learning how to use it), BBC iPlayer (only to watch 'The Honourable woman' before sleep) and Antena 3 player with hope to find all the missing episodes of 'Internado'.

But there are three the most imporant things I found absolutely delighted. If anybody has a brain similar to mine, you would surely wish to have them inside.

iBooks

 Being super fast and super simple to use (which is absolutely priceless for me), iBooks is designed to replace a Kindle. Works for ebooks as well as pdf and offers a real comfort of reading. Alongside with endless pdfs I downloaded or requested from friends I also got a decent amount of exciting books.
 Openculture.com allows you to browse all of the free ebooks with high class literature which are available for free from the net. In general, Openculture.com is a great web for free online courses, language lessons and lectures. If you don't know why am I advertising it so much, take it for a date on one long evening- you'll fall in love with it too.

 There is another great source for ebooks and it's called Project Gutenberg. The website offers high quality ebooks from constantly updated database. I found there even 'Candid'- my favourite title ever.

Museums of the world

 This thing is winning the second place in my digital mind competition. It's a well-designed and pleasant for an eye catalogue allowing you to locate all of the museum you're close to at the moment. It provides the actual location, opening times and entry price as well as a detailed describtion, photos and current events and exhibitions. It also displays links to official websites of the venues. All that in a clear order and easy to browse. Think it might not be useful? I wished it was with me in Palma de Mallorca to advise me swapping Esbaluard for an exciting Salvador Dali exhibition.

The winner: Berliner Philharmoniker

And so there is the winner. No matter what all the other apps of the world can do, nothing ever got me the feeling which could be ever close to that one. Berliner Philharmoniker not only lets you see: it literally lets you in to the magical world of classical music.
 I loved philharmony since my mom took me to the concert when I was thirteen. It was only about music: it was the atmosphere, the people surrounding me, the smile of the cloakroom assistant, the smell of the old fashioned dresses. And Berliner Philharmoniker made me feel it again, one usual day while I was sitting by my desk. It woke me up from my grey reality with a digital reminded: the opening concert was happening just now. It gave me a really good seat. I was watching people taking their places and musicians with their polished instruments and it was just like for the first time. It was magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment