Monday, June 30, 2014

Nuria Marques @ Esbaluard

 For those who love to explore an artsy site of new place, Esbaluard Museum of Contemporary Art in Palma de Mallorca can be, gently speaking, a slight disappointment. It doesn't really represent a spirit of the magnificent place it's based on, but rather reminds of a mere temporary exhibiton at Tate Modern. At the beginning of that article I need to mention I can definitely not act like any sort of authority in terms of Esbaluard as the entrace fee made me angry before I entered. It costs 4.50 euro to get in and me, spoiled by London where the access to most of the musuems (of much greater excellence) is free, I felt repelled by such a low accessibility of the Spanish museum. And this feeling didn't leave me for most of the time while watching the exhibition. 

 So what's cool about Esbaluard? Several Picassos and a roof terrace. And few magical spotlights which saved my impression about this place and made me leaving the building content. And, there is Nuria Marques. 

 Before I found her I took a long walk around the roof terrace, in a burning sun through the long paths with an open view to the city. Palma from that side is quiet and almost countryside style, far from tourists jam around the cathedral and the noisy Rambla. The best way to look down is to enter one of the tiny towers on the corner, which can give you a caustrophobical feeling of a cult place but is definitely worth breaking it through. You can find yourself in a magical place of a well-shape with tiny windows reaching out to the see.

 The thing which was supposed to be the most remarkable after those days hasn't been easy to find and that's exactly what attracted me to it. I have a weakness to things which seem to be hidden, swept away from within the reach of your eyes like they needed to be found and that was the only reason for them being there at first place, like being searched and found was an another purpose for their existence. They are there, to surprise and enchant.

 The work of Nuria Marques, about whom I desperately seek any information online (and saddly and surprisingly, unsuccessfully) was hidden from the general view and at the same time somehow, located just perfectly. To spot it the one needs to cross the whole room and the only reason you have to do that is a large window at the end of it. You have to feel the need to look out for the sun. There is a price for those who feel this urgent, underlying need to search for the sun. Behind a corner there is a small screen with a pair of headphones. They are waiting to take you on a journey.


 ''Once upon a time'' is a project of several short animations about extraordinary stories which happened to a girl. Through a surrealistic narration you can see a core of the story: loneliness, insecurities, isolation. I didn't only see through this girl's eyes- I was that girl, I became her and all of a sudden I felt a fear if getting out. his animation has become my comfort zone. Outside of it, there was the world looking forward to eat me. I didn't like this world, just on my right hand side. For not to spoil the experience for those coming to Esbaluard, I'll recall one story especially stuck in my mind and making me feel weak and vulnerable everytime I think of it.

 Once upon a time there was a girl who was sitting on a chair. Then somebody came to started to caress her from behind. She liked it so much she didn't want to turn and see who it was. She didn't want to open her eyes. Until she lost herself. Lost it all to make it last forever. 

 She wanted to be loved. Not opening her eyes to keep this unconditional love alive. No matter what was the price. Even if the price for forever. Even if it meant to get lost in that moment and give it all up.
 I finally put my headset back to make a room for more people to see these stories. But there was no one there. Only four walls, lonely and empty inside filled with a mute scream of everything which is yet to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment