Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Listening to the radio- part 2.5

 Over the years as my life has drifted apart from the lives of my college friends, I always felt that one of the things that had set us apart was the radio. Living in a relatively large country with a notoriously terrible infrastructure, everyday they were driving miles in their Skodas and Coupes, stopping at their flagship gas stations to grab a take-away coffee. And, during these long hours on the road, they listened to the radio. Few popular radio channels were a soundtrack of their lives. They were telling them what's trending,  what's new, and what's just happened, picking the most important pieces of information to help them live entertaining but orderly lives. I had no idea what was happening in there, on air, with these voices filling people's cars every morning. The less often I heard it, the more it came across to me like a message of an alien broadcasting from planet Zogg somewhere in fifteenth galaxy in order to save their now nearly extinct culture from oblivion. 

 It took something else for me to embrace the radio as my own: the newly updated evolution of online radio. But let me tell you that from the beginning.

 Back in the days we had a dream with Alonso to have our own studio somewhere in the attic, necessarily overlooking a busy crossroads with red buses passing on a daily basis. We would have had a small side table next to the window, so we could look at the traffic outside everyday at breakfast. And now and then we would have stopped the time with a glass of wine in hand. Four seasons will all merge into a postcard of our time, and life would have been changing colours according to jazz. Before I met Alonso, I had always associated jazz with clearing out old paperwork. Probably because somewhat sophisticated nature of jazz made this job a little less dull, and being busy such a mundane activity didn't allow much of jazz-related thinking, that life is now three times faster and that vintage record shops had now become a stamp of hipster fueled gentrification. 

 It all happened years before 'La La Land', and years before regular couples' dream about an attic studio have become a cliche and stopped having any meaning. Until one time I received an unexpected reminder from my time and it, surprisingly, came through radio. It was no ordinary radio to begin with, but a livestream YouTube radio called by a sublime name of 'Rainy Jazz'. It was nothing of a typical radiostation I knew from my friends' cars. As the description said, it played jazz and gentle bossa nova, and it was giving off a vibe of a quiet cafe next to some train station, enchanted in time. Oh, and it's raining. All the time. 

 There are no words in this world for me to describe the soothing power of rain. The rain sound heals souls and mends broken hearts, patches us up until we're back in one piece and can walk. There are records of the rain sound of up to twenty four hours length, and long ago they became my own adult-life lullaby. This is how life has come full circle, and now I am having my own soundtrack- the one that brings me back into the studio in the attic that never existed.

No comments:

Post a Comment